MFT Stamps Card Design Superstar Contest 2017 - Entry #1

MFT Stamps Card Design Superstar Contest 2017
MFT Card Design Superstar Contest 2017

Hello friends!  For the past three years, My Favorite Things has been hosting a Card Design Superstar Contest featuring their products.  This will by my second year participating.  It's such a fun challenge and I really enjoy seeing all of the amazing creations that everyone else comes up with.



For my first entry, I wanted to focus on 3D elements and enter into the Innovation Master Category.  I love cards with dimension and have a passion for creating box cards.  However, I wanted to push myself a little bit further on this card and make it even more 3D (if there's such a thing, lol) by creating more depth.  So, I created a card with a floating floor to showcase a cute little scarecrow protectively watching over a field of sunflowers.

Floating Floor

I first cut a piece of MFT Kraft Cardstock to 4 1/4" x 11" and scored it at 5 1/2" to create a standard A2 sized card base.  I created my floating floor after some trial and error.  I cut a piece of green cardstock to 4 1/4" x 6 1/4" and then scored at 3/8", 4 3/8" and 4 6/8".  This provided me with the perfect sized floor that would both fit into my card when folded and also have enough room to stamp a sentiment.


I used both the MFT Fall Friends and MFT Harvest Buddies Stamp Sets to create this fun little scene.  Once I stamped and colored these with my Copic Sketch Markers, I used their coordinating dies to cut them out.  I then lined them up lying facedown on the floating floor to make sure that they wouldn't stick out of the top of my card when folded.


Once I positioned them where I wanted everything, I then cut small squares into the floor where I would place a little paper "L-bracket" to hold them into place.


For the background of my card, I used the MFT Stamps Cloud Stencil and added some Distress Inks (Squeezed Lemonade, Carved Pumkin and Ripe Persimmon) to create an evening Fall sky.  I absolutely love this cloud stencil that was released earlier this year by My Favorite Things.

3D Pop-up Inside of Card

Next, I diecut some Fall trees from brown cardstock using both the MFT Die-namics Tree-mendous and MFT Die-namics Trees in the Forest Die Sets.  I love how they look against the cloud background.

To give my card even further dimension, I added a hill and fence in the background using the MFT Die-namics Rolling Hills Die Set.


Once I had all of my pieces ready to go, I first stamped & heat embossed my sentiment before adhering anything to my card base.  Once that was done, I just pieced it all together.


Lastly, I added some grass to the front of my card using the MFT Die-namics Grassy Fields Die Set.  I also added a few leaves, a pumpkin and an acorn to set the scene.  And for a finishing touch (and once again adding more dimension to my card) I added a few "flying" Fall leaves by using a few pieces of clear acetate to hold the leaves in place.

Card Front

I followed the same theme on the front of my card and used a retired set by My Favorite Things called Sunflower Die-namics.  I wanted to make my flowers look 3D as well, so I used some ink to give them more dimension and then shaped them to look like they were blooming right off the front of the card.  Behind these flowers, I also used the MFT Die-namics Layered Leaves, MFT Die-namics Stitched Rectangle Scallop Edge Frames, MFT Stitched Sentiment Strips and the MFT Tiny Check Patterned Paper.


I'm really happy with how my card turned out!  It will be perfect to give to a friend of mine who is going through a hard time.  


Thank you all for dropping by!  If you liked this card and want some more crafty inspiration, don't forget to check out my INSTAGRAM feed!

Wishing you all a lovely day!

♥ Rachel

13 comments :

  1. I'm sooo going to try this!! I love it!!! Super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sean! Can't wait to see what you create! 😊

      Delete
  2. So gorgeous and cute!! I love your 3d cards and beautiful coloring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your winning card! You're a Card Design Superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your win! Fabulous card and I'm sure your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your deserving Superstar win! Your pop up card is adorable and I love the matching sunflower box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooo AMAZING !!! The colors, the entire design , each detail !!! Truly a work of art !! Super big congratulations !!
    Hugs&Blessings,
    Mayra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mayra! You are so sweet! Congrats to you as well! ♥️

      Delete
  7. Hi Rachel! I had to visit your blog to read all about your fabulous superstar card... totally awesome! Congrats once again! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! Same to you! ♥️♥️♥️ It's still pretty exciting! 😊

      Delete